Launched in December 2017 Philip King the Small Business Commissioner, leads an independent office aimed at empowering small businesses in resolving disputes around late and unfair payment issues and provides advice, including on how to act if a payment is overdue.
From our launch date Philip and his team have supported over 650 small businesses helping them access £7.2m pounds locked in late payments.
The SBC is:
• free to use on a non-risk basis
• independent, but appointed by government
The SBC provides general advice and information to small businesses on matters such:
• resolving disputes and dealing with an unpaid invoice
• checking contracts and getting invoices right
• signposting small businesses to existing support and dispute resolution services.
The SBC will also consider and investigate complaints about payment issues between small business and their larger customers making (non-binding) recommendations on how the parties should resolve their disputes.